Are you an active, believing Mormon romantically and affectionately attracted to members of the same sex? Are you a gay Mormon?
If so, would you like more information to help you understand the Church position on these attractions?
Do you know or suspect, someone in your family or congregation is homosexual?
If so, are you at a loss to know what you should say or do to help the individual?
Are you confused by the sometimes inadequate and even contradictory information about homosexuality on the internet and in the Mormon community?
The purpose of this web site is to provide basic information about homosexuality
within the LDS church and community based on the current doctrine and policies of the Church.
Although we do not speak for the Church, we offer decades of both ecclesiastical and professional
experience working with gay and lesbian members of the Church.
This site is designed to help individuals and families dealing either personally or with family
members and friends who are attracted to those of the same gender. Using the most recent
and most authoritative Church documents, our group has placed here on the home page the following
official documents published by the Church, and several other statements by Church
leaders published elsewhere. In addition, on other parts of the site we have placed articles,
pamphlets, booklets and other materials authored by the organizers of this website. (Where possible,
we have provided links to these materials to make it convenient for you to consult them)
To create this website, we have used six of the most recent and authoritative documents produced by the LDS Church
- An official website at www.MormonsAndGays.org.
Here you can read the following, "Few topics are as emotionally
charged or require more sensitivity than same-sex attraction. This complex matter touches on the
things we care about most: our basic humanity, our relationship to family, our identity and potential
as children of God, how we treat each other, and what it means to be disciples of Christ."
The site also says the following, "The experience of same-sex attraction is a complex reality
for many people. The attraction itself is not a sin, but acting on it is. Even though individuals
do not choose to have such attractions, they do choose how to respond to them. With love and understanding,
the Church reaches out to all God's children, including our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters."
On this Church site you can find statements by three of the apostles-- Elder Oaks, Elder Cook and Elder Christofferson
and other statements by members of the Church affected by this issue.
- The official publication of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for individuals
and families wanting to know what the Church teaches regarding these issues is
God Loveth His Children, published by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve, 2007.
- Relevant sections from the
Official 2010 Church Handbook II: “Policies on Moral Issues: Chastity & Fidelity” (
21.4.5), “Homosexual Behavior & Same Gender Attraction” (21.4.6), and “Same-Gender
We have also found the following current articles to be essential in understanding the official Church policy regarding these issues.
Together these six links and documents constitute the most authoritative pronouncements on same-sex attraction
by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve. We provide a ten point summary of these documents
below as a guide that may be used as a template when considering different organizations, books,
articles, websites, etc. We will provide some examples of applying this template to different
groups to help show how this material may be used. We take the attitude that no organization,
website or book can substitute for the actual words of our Prophets and leaders. Several
websites, in fact, claim to be aligned with the Church but, as will be seen below, some live
up to this claim much better than others.
Here are the 10 issues we believe are most important in the Church documents on Same Gender Attraction
(SGA) or gay Mormon / lesbian Mormon concerns. We have posted here quotes from the documents to clarify
the position on each of these points.
- How many are affected by this gay Mormon issue?
- What terms are appropriate in discussing gay feelings?
- Is having feelings of same-sex attraction a sin?
- Are the causes of same-sex attraction known? Is there someone to blame?
- Can same-sex attraction be changed? Are you expected to diminish these gay attractions or resolve them?
- Is there a difference in Church attitude toward gay attractions and gay behavior?
- What is the Church’s position on same-sex marriage?
- Should homosexuals marry heterosexuals?
- Is homosexuality a mortal, as opposed to an eternal condition?
- What is the Church’s position on celibacy?
- Are gay Mormons welcome in Latter-day Saint congregations?
How can I find LDS resources (books, articles, films, support groups) in line with official Church Guidance? See the answer to this question —.
What are the specific goals of the organizers of this website?
- To provide easy access to authoritative statements on homosexuality by Church leaders and summarize the major teachings on this subject.
- To provide resources on reliable research and clinical practice relating to homosexuality.
- To help create conditions that enable Latter-day Saint homosexuals to feel welcome, safe and valued within families, congregations, and communities.
The following link provides additional
background on this site and
suggestions for reading the material here.
We welcome dialogue with those who seek broader understanding of this subject. Those wishing
more information are encouraged to address e-mail inquiries to
firstname.lastname@example.org. Anyone who desires to communicate with
specific individuals affiliated with this website (see biographical profiles) may do so by
directing their inquiries to such persons in care of the above e-mail address
Gay Mormon Resources for Latter-day Saint Families and Leaders